Everyone who has ever been to Bohinj knows that the light here is special and gorgeus. And if you are a photographer then you know that this place is something unique. Why?
In the last few days I did a small comparison between lakes in the whole area of Alps. After a couple of hours on Google Earth I realized that Bohinj lake is really something special and can’t be compared to any of lakes in Alpine valleys across Europe. From a photographic point of view Bohinj lake is special and different because of the reasons listed below:
- the lake is oriented exactly E-W – not many lakes in Alps are oriented that way. Orientation of the lake and the course of the sun have great influences on light conditions and photo composition. The sun is setting behind a horseshoe-shaped mountain range in a way that is perfect for compositions;
- the lake lies on a low altitude and is surrounded by forest which is good for contrast photos (blue, green, …)
- the lake is “opened” (no mountains) towards east;
- immediate surrounding of the lake is not steep so the lake has a feeling of openness;
- the lake is closed by a horseshoe shaped mountain range from the south, west and north. Such specific geomorphology can’t be found elsewhere. Geomorphology has a big influence on the quality of light and on the direction of sun rays falling on lake and surroundings;
- the lake lies close to the Adriatic sea. The Adriatic sea has a big influence on the weather and air masses around Bohinj. A mixture of Alpine and Adriatic climate creates special effects;
- the lake lies in a unique shaped glacier valley which is totally closed with mountains from three sides. Closed valleys causes the occurrence of low fog at certain times of the year. From photographic point of view low fog is great for moody compositions.
- surrounding of the lake is formed by limestone which is white and gray and makes good contrast with water (blue), forest (green). Majority of the Alps is formed from more dark rocks.
- the lake is not too big which is also good for compositions;
I have visited some of the lakes in the Alps and I must say that none has such great light and such a “soul” than Bohinj lake. Come and see for yourself. You’ll be amazed!
And this is just from the past few days.